Mitt foto
A close friend once said to me "Your search to define who you are has become an essential part of who you are". So therefore I will not introduce myself, not being quite sure yet. If you are reading this you are probably close to me and know me well already.

2007/12/28

They must hate me..

I call Three every day. I come up with new questions like every second hour and I call them. Because, see, they are very attentive to their customers. They have a fully staffed customer information service with very nice people that answer and send you around to other nice people who vagely answer your questions. So I feel a little special there, I feel taken care of and listened to. It's just that they cannot tell me when my phone will arrive. I don't care that we are 200 persons in Sweden waiting for it, I don't need a Happy New Year, nor a Have a nice day, I just want to know when I need to be around to get the mail and do a post office run. I hate waiting around when I don't know how long I need to wait.

I feel very obsessive and now I worry for some kind of standard call registration in their database. Like for every person that speaks to me, they add a small comment saiyng I've called to ask for bla bla bla at 12.04 and again at 15.37 and again at 18.21 and so on. I guess I'm a freak. But I'd be a happy freak if I'd just get my phone.

My very wise teacher in logistics told us a story about Bang Olufsen. When they were to open in the US people said that they wouldn't make it far since Americans in general hate waiting. For them to walk into a shop, buy something and then not being able to take it home instantly was unimaginable. But the director just shrugged his shoulders and said "I'm sure it's going to be fine". When they opened it was a success.

What they did to satisfy their customers was to tell them the exact time and date of delivery, like "Friday at 2 p.m.". The customer made sure to be at home that Friday at 2 p.m. and the Bang Olufsen truck arrived as promised. When they later spoke to the customers for feedback, all of them were happy, no matter the waiting period, since they all knew exactly how long they needed to wait for. Apparently there is something in the human brain that responds extremely well to set appointments and fixed dates. As long as you know how long you need to wait, that time of waiting is no longer seen as waiting, i.e. pure agony.


Agony being the word to describe my mood today. I'll read some Far Side cartoons and try to laugh it off, it being a kinda heavy day altogether. Maybe I'll look up Bang Olufsen cell phones too.


..Hehe... hehehehehe...

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

i liked the bang olufsen story. there's a lot to be said for being psychologically inventive so to speak. it's difficult though because it might go against conventional wisdom.